Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Drawing I - First Collection of Homework

I'm a freshman in college now! In fact, It's my first semester. I've been learning a lot in many different areas. My social skills have improved, my English papers have improved (I think), and my artistic skills are really improving! Unfortunately, I still suck at Math. Anyway, back to art.

I've been taking a Drawing I class and a Design I class. Work from both classes with be documented on this blog. Now, of course, there's only a month left in this semester, which means I'm not producing new work then posting. Most of the work will have been done between January and March. So, there is a time lapse. But please feel free to critique my work. Even though these drawings are technically finished, they really aren't. I need to continue to grow by learning and pushing myself further. Don't hesitate to comment. Just join in the fun. :)


★ ★ ______________________________________________ ★ ★

The goal of this first assignment was to draw three cubes of different sizes. The only guideline was to show two sides of each cube.


A Watch Case

A Pencil Case

A Set of Drawers


What I learned:
1. Not exactly sure what I was supposed to learn with this assignment, but I did like the challenge of drawing the last cube. It took me about two hours. It was definitely worthwhile because I like the result.

★ ★ ______________________________________________ ★ ★

The second assignment was much like the first, still show two sides of the cubes, but now put a focus on "converging parallel" lines.
Note: Converging parallel lines are lines that are parallel to each other and one is longer in length, while the other is shorter in length. This creates depth.


These are my redos.


A Book (at a weird angle)

Another book
Note: I don't read them, I just draw them.



What I learned:
1. In the image above, my instructor made a comment that I wasn't understanding the concept of converging parallel lines and that my cubes were irregularly-shaped. I over-analyzed what converging parallel lines were. Now, I know.
2. I didn't show two sides of one of the cubes I had drawn before. I have since learned to pay more attention to instruction and detail.
3. After completing this homework, I look back at the first assignment and easily see my mistakes. Focusing on making converging parallel lines really did make a lot of difference.


★ ★ ______________________________________________ ★ ★

This assignment was to pick a still life. First, make a blind contour of that still life. Darken the lines that are closer to you and make the lines farther away lighter. Then, make another, more accurate contour drawing while looking at both the still life and the drawing.
Note: Blind contour drawing is when you focus only on the outline of the object you're drawing while slowly putting it on paper, without looking at the paper. And you can't lift your pencil.



I chose the clichéd fruit bowl.

The Refined Cliché Fruit Bowl.


What I learned:
1. OK, I did lift my pencil. So, I didn't do the assignment exactly right. But now, I know.
2. I learned that I need give myself plenty of time when learning a new technique or concept. I shouldn't have the attitude that it's too easy for me. Likewise, I shouldn't be intimidated.
3. I also learned that just because I do something wrong on my first attempt, doesn't mean I can't master it with practice. OK, I have learned that before. This reiterated that lesson for me.

★ ★ ______________________________________________ ★ ★

The next assignment was to draw a chair. Two sides had to be visible.



Chair

Closeup of Chair


What I learned:
1. I learned that I'm awesome at drawing chairs! Actually, I'm really just surprised how at this drawing turned out. I spent three hours on it, nonstop. Plus, the chair was moved once while I was drawing it and I had to move it back exactly. So yeah, I did learn that I'm awesome at drawing chairs.
2. Also, I realize that there are some flaws with my lines. I should pay more attention to that.

★ ★ ______________________________________________ ★ ★

In this assignment, I had to draw a room in one-point perspective.
Note: One-point perspective drawings have only one vanishing point, meaning all of the lines meet at the same point.



1 Pt. Perspective Hallway

Closeup / Different View of Hallway


What I learned:
1. I was intimidated with this assignment at first, mainly because I was worried about drawing a lot of detail correctly. But that wasn't the goal of the assignment. I drew a hallway by just looking at one and recreating it. However, the concept was that all of the lines had to meet at one point, in this case, my eye level. Instead of looking closely at the drawing to see if all of the lines met at the same place, I thought, "Hey, I drew a pretty good hallway." In class, my instructor pointed out that, while the hallway looked "nice", the lines didn't meet in the same place. In order to make the hallway look accurate, I changed the directions of all of the lines to meet between the middle and top of the door. Now, that's one-point perspective.

★ ★ ______________________________________________ ★ ★

Thanks for reading! While drawing does get frustrating at times, it's exciting to know that I'm growing as a artist, that I'm going above my comfort level. In all honesty, I could have worked harder on some of these drawings. And that's what I'm learning, that I need to work harder. As I said before, if you have any constructive criticism or just feel like saying hi, please leave me a comment. I will appreciate it!

Oh, and about the books, I wasn't joking.



~ tessmarie (March 30, 2011)